The Half Roll Down is a good stepping stone to The Roll Up. Many people struggle with the full Roll Up because of weak abdominals, tight spines, and/or tight hamstrings. The Half Roll Down will help them build strength in their abs and improve their spinal flexibility with gradual articulation and practice. I would recommend this exercise for anyone that cannot do the Roll Up somewhat properly.
Please review the modifications before attempting the exercise and use them as needed. If you have any questions, please contact me.
- Sit with bent legs
- Feet flat on floor
- Curl your tail under slightly, do not sit upright on your sitz bones
- Your spine should have a soft curve to it like a parenthesis
- Place your hands behind your knees, keep them there
- INHALE and slowly articulate your spine backwards until your arms are straight
- Pause and find your Pilates scoop
- EXHALE and sequentially return
- Repeat 5-8 times
This video is intended for educational purposes only. It is meant to help you remember what you have done with me during our sessions. Please be sure to ask me if you cannot remember “your version” of this exercise.